A year ago, around noon, Zilok.com came to life on the Internet. So much has been accomplished since then! Now Zilok is on the right track to become a mainstream service.
Zilok is the fruit of a very ambitious project. A desire to enable and promote a new way of consuming, that would give people more choices while saving natural resources. No more buying things new that we'll use once and then store forever in a closet.
In this new century natural resources are becoming scarce, and the economy is starting to notice, not just with higher prices but also with a growing concern for conservation. Because it makes sense economically too. And that's what peer-to-peer renting is offering: an economic structure for a more efficient use of the community's resources. It goes beyond hugging trees. It makes sense, economically too.
So one year after the first release of the site, we feel we're going in the right direction. Looking back, here's the achievements we're the most proud about:
- Conquering the World: Zilok.com is home to P2P renting communities in five countries, making it the World Premier Online Rental Marketplace.
- Impacting the Industry: Zilok's already made an impact on the rental industry. With more than 500 rental businesses on board, you can now rent everything from tools to racing motorcycles from businesses down the street. Zilok is an active and proud member of the European Rental Association.
- Getting the Attention: Since Zilok went live in the UK, it made news in many A-list media publications, media and blogs: the Times, the Guardian, the International Herald Tribune, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, PC World, CNET, TechCrunch... the list goes on.
- Feeling the Love: Zilok has received many awards from industry leaders: Site of the Week and part of the Top 100 2008 Websites at PC Magazine, Best European Startup by the audience of the Plugg Startup Rally 2008, and Zilok won the 2008 Startup 2.0 Challenge in Barcelona.
- Defining the Standards: We're starting to see clones and new followers popping up every other week. That's always a good sign!
Now, our objective and big challenge for the long run is to become a mainstream service. We want you and everyone you know to think Zilok tomorrow for renting as naturally as you think eBay today for selling. That's the horizon, and with the help of our community we're going for it.